WHAT IS GLUTATHIONE?
My first awareness of the importance of glutathione in health began when a family member started a new job working for a company selling glutathione skin care products. Of course, my curiosity sparked when I discovered glutathione is a natural ingredient abundant in our cells.
Since that time, I have studied all I can about this fascinating natural ingredient and the vital role it plays in maintaining optimal wellness and beauty. What is glutathione essential role in protecting you from age-related illness and disease? Find out so you can also be aware of its power to heal and sustain your youthfulness and health.
WHAT IS GLUTATHIONE?
Glutathione is an omnipresent antioxidant protecting cells in the body against reactive chemicals, toxins, and free radicals. Glutathione is a tripeptide consisting of three amino acids (cysteine, glycine, glutamic acid) joined by peptide bonds. A high concentration of glutathione is found in the cells. Similar to the levels of glucose, cholesterol, and potassium found in your body. This factor alone indicates a high level of importance for the body and represents the significant role it plays.
WHAT IS AN ANTIOXIDANT?
Glutathione is a master antioxidant in your body. What is an antioxidant anyway? An Antioxidant plays a vital role when it comes to defending the body from free radicals. Free radicals cause damage to parts of the cell DNA, proteins, and cell membrane. Free radicals steal the cell electrons causing the cell to become unstable. They are the reason why cells become oxidized. This oxidation is what causes damage leading to disease. Antioxidants are in natural and made-made substances. The richest source found in food such as fruit and vegetables that contain antioxidants such as glutathione, vitamins C, E, A, and enzymes. Synthetic antioxidants are added to your food to prevent deterioration of the food. Glutathione is also used in the cosmetic industry to improve the shelf life of the products as well as offering protection from free radical found in skin cells.
WHAT IS GLUTATHIONE CHEMICAL FORM?
- Reduced glutathione (GSH)
- Oxidized glutathione (GSSG)
Oxidized glutathione is 2 reduced glutathione molecules that have joined together at their sulfur atoms. The ratio of GSH to GSSG glutathione determines the cell's balance of equilibrium it achieves between oxidants and the antioxidants. The ratio of GSH/GSSG in healthy cells is greater than >100. When the cells become exposed to free radical stress, this ratio balance drops to 1 to 10.
Glutathione is produced only in the cytosol. The cytosol is the intracellular fluid found inside of the cells. Glutathione is distributed amongst the mitochondrial DNA of the cell.
WHAT IS GLUTATHIONE IMPORTANT FOR?
8 ESSENTIAL ROLES OF GLUTATHIONE
- DESTROYS ENEMIES OF THE CELL – Free radical enemies create cell & DNA damage that leads to disease. Glutathione neutralizes free radicals so they don't cause damage to cells, protein, and DNA.
- BOOSTS FUNCTION OF THE CELL – Speeds up the rate of chemical reactions in the cells. For example, through digestion by breaking down molecules into energy used to sustain the life of the cell.
- REGENERATES THE CELL – Revitalizes vitamins C & E. Providing antioxidant properties.
- POWERFUL CELL DETOXIFIER – Neutralizes free radicals and toxins from liver metabolism. Powerful detoxifier that destroys toxins until they become paralyzed from causing damage in the cell.
- CHEMICAL MESSENGER OF DNA - Chemical exchange of genetic information to help the liver remove toxins. The chemical messages that glutathione sends, transforms toxins into a water-soluble chemical so it can be excreted out of the body by the kidneys.
- REMOVES DANGEROUS TOXINS - Toxins such as mercury are moved out of the cells, out of the brain, and out of the body.
- REGULATES CELLS LIFE CYCLE - Regulates and controls cell reproduction and cell death.
- DNA FUNCTION & MAINTENANCE - Plays a vital part in mitochondrial DNA function and maintenance. Mitochondria of the cell are the energy powerhouse of the cell.
WHAT LOW LEVELS OF GLUTATHIONE MEANS TO YOUR CELLS?
Reduction of Glutathione levels in the cell results in disease. The aging process relates to a loss of function in the cell. This shows up as a loss of mitochondrial function due to damage in the DNA mitochondria. Glutathione ability to protect your DNA is linked to cell longevity. It is discovered to affect telomerase activity. Telomeres are an important factor in the lifespan of the cells, determining how long we live.
Diseases linked with Glutathione deficiency include:
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Immune Diseases
- Pulmonary diseases
- Neurodegenerative disorders
- Chronic age-related diseases
- Liver disease
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Aging process
We all know we are made up of billions of cells. What is glutathione importance in the cells? Glutathione is power. Power to destroy all enemies of the cell. Boost function of the cells, regenerating them to full health. Glutathione is a champion at removing dangerous toxins, clearing and detoxing the cells. A wise messenger that maintains function of the body, and regulates our cells life span. Glutathione balance in the body is critical for maintain health and ensuring longevity.
Check out our Glutathione facial products they are packed full of antioxidants, exactly what is needed to rejuvenate your skin cells.
|AMA||Pizzorno J. Glutathione!. Integr Med (Encinitas). 2014;13(1):8-12.|
|MLA||Pizzorno, Joseph. “Glutathione!.” Integrative medicine (Encinitas, Calif.) vol. 13,1 (2014): 8-12.|
|APA||Pizzorno J. (2014). Glutathione!. Integrative medicine (Encinitas, Calif.), 13(1), 8–12.|
|NLM||Pizzorno J. Glutathione! Integr Med (Encinitas). 2014 Feb;13(1):8-12. PMID: 26770075; PMCID: PMC4684116.|